• PDF Brochure
• ISO Accreditation


Click the play button to see an animated demonstration of the Ormerod detaching hook  

In 1867, Edward Ormerod, the Engineer at Gibfield Colliery, Atherton Nr. Manchester, patented a detaching hook for “The prevention of accidents from over-winding in mine shafts.” Manufacture commenced in 1868 from a small forge adjacent to the Colliery, with the first hook being installed at Gibfield No2 shaft in the same year.

To date, Edward Ormerod & Co. Ltd. have designed, manufactured, and supplied over 13,500 Ormerod detaching hooks and sets of suspension gear World-wide, and continue to do so from their original seven acre site, adjacent to the former Gibfield Colliery.